If you have been studying in Australia and your course is about to finish, you may wish to extend your visa to study another course. In order to do this you will need to:

  1. Obtain a Certificate of Enrolment for your new course
  2. Complete a visa application for the right student visa
  3. Ensure you address the Genuine Temporary Entrant criteria


It is the third aspect that tends to trap most students. It is a regulatory requirement that all student visa applicants meet what is known as the Genuine Temporary Entrant criteria and the new financial requirements. This means each student must satisfy the case officer that he or she is a genuine student and plans to return home after his or her study. In other words, you are here temporarily.

Applying for a second or more student visa can raise some red flags for the Department of Immigration. There are certain aspects they will look for and if they believe the applicant is using the student visa to stay in Australia permanently they will refuse.

We address the genuineness question with all our student visa applications by including submissions accompanying all applications as well as meeting any specific concerns that we identify after our consultation with the client.

If you need a student visa, get a professional to do it for you. Contact us to schedule a consultation and make sure your immigration status is in good hands.